Tuesday, November 12, 2013

God is Able

It was a pretty normal Sunday last November 10 when my cousin and I went to attend the 9am service of Victory Caloocan.

Well, at first, it seemed pretty normal.

I was all-out during the praise. I was even grinning to myself with no reason at all. Talk about rejoicing! During the worship, I couldn't keep myself from smiling again. This time, I was smiling in awe.



"God is Able
He will never fail
He is almighty God
 
Greater than all we seek
Greater than all we ask
He has done great things"
(Hillsong, 2011)

These were the words we were singing in worship; the words that made me smile. I was reminded of the greatness and power of God. I mean, just read the lyrics! Listen to the whole song, even! There are no words to describe how I was feeling as I gave my all in worshiping the almighty God.



In the middle of the song, Pastor Ferdie del Valle went up to the stage and talked about what the Philippines has been going through. A minute later, he asked everyone to get a partner and just pray for the nation.

I started to pray with my cousin. But I found it hard to speak; I was stuttering. I felt my emotions just welling up in me. I had so much to pray for that I was having a hard time organizing my thoughts. But I continued, even though I was practically saying the same thing over and over again: God is all-powerful, and he reigns over all.

As we continued to worship, I found myself breathless at what we were singing of.



"God is with us
He will go before
He will never leave us
He will never leave us
God is for us
He has open arms
He will never fail us
He will never fail us"

I was amazed. I was more than amazed. 

I was reminded of how God is able to restore our nation from this storm. I was reminded that God is with us..


God, the Almighty God, the King of kings and Lord of lords, the Alpha and Omega, is on our side and He is more than willing to help us overcome this devastation. Just think about it.


I've seen different reactions of people on Yolanda. They mainly try to answer the question why. Why the Philippines? Why give us a typhoon this strong?

One of them answered pretty much like this: God knew that the Philippines is strong, that's why He sent us a strong storm.

Another blogged about how God is punishing the Philippines for its sins, which is why He sent us Yolanda. (I only read parts of the blog post, I couldn't get myself to finish it. I was already stopping myself from throwing my laptop.)

But that Sunday, as we worshiped God, I suddenly had a feeling of excitement. As I realized how God is going to work in this nation, I felt excited.

I was excited for what God is about to do in the Philippines.

And that's when I remembered this passage:


As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned,this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”

 “Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him.(John 9:1-3)


 That's when I realized that maybe this is "why the Philippines".

God wants to reveal himself to his people. God wants his people to see and believe in his greatness and power. God wants his people to witness great miracles. God wants his people experience his amazing grace.

Just like what my friend said on Facebook:





God wants the whole world to see his great power and awesome miracles through what he is about to do in our nation.




I am genuinely excited for what God is about to do in the Philippines. Everything happens for a reason, and surely, Yolanda happened for a reason. And we can also be sure that that reason is not and will not be something like, "I just wanted to hurt the Philippines." NO.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11)

We just have to remember that no matter what may happen, the almighty and all-powerful compassionate and loving God is in control. We just have to trust him.

He knows what he's doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment