Thursday, November 7, 2013

Brand New Eyes

I've been to Thailand, Macau, and Hong Kong.

When a Filipino visits a neighboring country, there's one line that's usually said: Parang Pilipinas lang!


I've got to admit, I've said that both mentally and verbally. Because it's true!


The buildings and cars are pretty much the same, the trees that line up their streets are the same trees in our backyards, the temperature is close enough, even the people look like Filipinos! The point is, the countries around us bear striking resemblance to our own.


But despite that fact, I still couldn't seem to take the goofy smile off my face when I looked at my surroundings during these out-of-the-country trips. I mean, I saw pretty much the same things I see here. Yet I kept smiling like a fool.


Then I realized why.


Because nothing could change the fact that I was in another country. That makes a big impact on everything.


Knowing that I was in a different country and out of my comfort zone created a new mindset for me. The fact that I was practically in a new world changed my perspective. It gave me brand new eyes. Suddenly, everything was so beautiful; everything was so unique.


Maybe the fact that I was in a new place far from home brainwashed me. It made me look at the world like it was the first time I opened my eyes.



Just recently, I moved from the province to Manila for my studies. And one day, while walking (or possibly commuting--does it really matter?), I had this idea.


I decided to look at my surroundings like I was in another country. I changed my perspective and looked around me the way that I would look at places in Thailand or Macau or Hong Kong.


Suddenly, I was smiling. I smiled that goofy smile I had when I was out of the country.


Then I thought, "The Philippines is so beautiful."



Since then, I sometimes stop and look around me with a new perspective. Every time, I see a whole new beauty of our country. And, as cliché as it seems, I begin to see that it is more fun in the Philippines. ;)


I encourage that once you walk out the door, today or maybe tomorrow, try to look at the Philippines with brand new eyes. I'm pretty sure you'd find yourself wearing that goofy smile I had, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment